Friday 12 April 2013

Marissa ~ daughter of the sea


Stop Press
 Marissa ~ wins a GOLD at Cake International London 2013


  

Meet Marissa, my entry for Cake International in London April 2013.

She sits about 12" high and is on a 15" board, made completely from sugarpaste without the use of any moulds, all sculpted, crafted and painstakingly created by hand.

Moving on from creating Cherry I knew there were some area's I wanted to improve on, particularly the hands and I wanted to work on a torso, but without the pressure of creating the legs at this point.  So a mermaid was the ideal choice, after much research I found an image of a mermaid enticing the sailors from the sea with her conch shell and that was my starting point of inspiration.  

The board is decorated, again with sugarpaste, with rock pools and nooks and crannies hiding hidden gems. With her raggedy tail, toned torso and shimmering tail, I am have loved every minute of making Marissa, who in total has taken me about 60 hours to complete.

I hope by the time you read this she is safely installed at Excel in London, without any damage and in her element to entice her audience in ...... enjoy .....



















4 comments:

  1. She truly is a work of art. Hope you get gold

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alix, just loved making her and learnt so much ~ Rhu x

      Delete
  2. Wow that looks amazing, such detailed and intricate work! Just found your blog after Googling cake classes in the Portsmouth area, am thinking of doing your introductory class. I blog over at themasterchefette.com :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, love your blog and you are so close :) Would be lovely to meet you at one of my classes one day ~ Rhu x

      Delete